Episode 16: Week 2 Match-ups and info

Monday, July 25, 2016

4th-8th Round Value

The excitement surrounding draft time in fantasy football always seems to stem from who your first round pick is going to be.  I am constantly fielding questions about which player should be taken in the top 6 picks or what two guys would I take with picks eleven & twelve.  I do enjoy those questions, mostly because they are the easiest to answer and it's typically fun to talk about stud players, but the draft goes so much deeper than these studs.  The saying out there is "you can't win your league with your first pick, but you can lose your league with it."  I couldn't disagree with this anymore than I do.  The league is not won or lost with the first round pick, not even close.  In my opinion the league is won through many facets of a fantasy season.  Every little part plays its role; the waiver wire, trades, evaluating when a player is due for a decline compared to finding players with a fortunate schedule in weeks to come and of course the draft.  When dealing with the draft I like to focus on rounds 4-8 as the most crucial collection of players I acquire on my team.



These are the in-between rounds from the studs to the sleepers and have always provided me with good value.  Between running backs and wide receivers, since 2012, there have been an average of 7 players drafted in these rounds to finish in the top-12 at either position.

4th-8th Round RB or WR w/Top-12 Finish
2015
2014
2013
2012
Doug Martin
Lamar Miller
Eddie Lacy
CJ Spiller
Todd Gurley
Jeremy Hill
Fred Jackson
Dez Bryant
Danny Woodhead
TY Hilton
Danny Woodhead
Demaryius Thomas
DeVonta Freeman
Emmanuel Sanders
Josh Gordon
Eric Decker
Chris Ivory
Jeremy Maclin
Antonio Brown
Reggie Wayne
Brandon Marshall
Golden Tate
Pierre Garcon
Vincent Jackson
Allen Robinson

DeSean Jackson

Larry Fitzgerald



Jarvis Landry




I think there are a number of players currently being drafted in these rounds that have this potential.  My top-10 favorites are:
  1. Thomas Rawls
  2. Dion Lewis
  3. Duke Johnson
  4. Ryan Mathews
  5. Jeremy Hill
  6. Donte Moncrief
  7. Michael Floyd
  8. John Brown
  9. Doug Baldwin
  10. DeVante Parker

Pageviews